Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:57:54 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008 2:08:11 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> but really it's not a browser-developer's job to
> ensure that as much as it is a page-writer's job.

We'll that may be an ideal assessment of the situation, but it fails the
practicality test.  A computer is a tool box of sorts, and its browser is one
of its tools.  I want a tool that allows me to use it on as many projects as
I encounter.

To use the screwdriver metaphor we were discussing, I have one of those great
screwdrivers where I can reverse the shaft for big bits or smaller bits.
Each bit can be reversed for flat head or phillips.  A great tool.

I don't want to be limited to a Phillips, only because flathead screws are
archaic or don't comply with standards, because I am going to encounter
flathead screws anyway, and I want a tool that will enable me to drive them.

If only every web developer cared about standards and wrote for them.  But
they don't, and just because they are poor web developers doesn't mean I am
not interested in the content of their pages.

> I don't write pages that check for specific browsers - because that's too
> much trouble - and I don't write pages that only work on IE, because that's
> bad business.  So I use toolkits that are browser-neutral - and to make
> sure that _they_ don't just check for specific user agents, I test with
> something like konqueror.  But I'd really prefer to be able to test with a
> pure _test_ browser, and have a konqueror that worked.  Sort of like
> running either IE or Firefox in "Standards-compliant" mode (what a laugh!).

Well this is a good practice, unfortunately followed in decreasing frequency.
And finally someone points out that limiting pages to specific browsers is
bad for business.

But surely, you aren't suggesting that Konqueror is purely a test bed browser?