Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:56:51 UTC 2008

2008/11/5 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>:
> 2008/11/5 Art Alexion <art.alexion at gmail.com>:
>> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 1:34:32 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Could you post some example websites?
>>
>> http://www.pnc.com/
>>
>> Now that is a really important web site to me, because I do my banking with
>> it, but the problems occur /after/ I log in (when Konqueror allows me to log
>> in).
>>

> I would appreciate if you would be very specific, offlist if you want.
> I cannot log in as I do not have an account there.
>
>> Not only does it work in FF, but it also works on Safari on my iTouch.
>>
>> Another problem I seem to have a lot with Konqueror is when I do a form post.
>> The post is often successful, but Konqueror doesn't automatically move to the
>> results page.  When I force it, it complains that there is unsent form data.
>>

> I haven't seen this. Do you have a known-bad page that I can test on?
>
>> The thing that most upset me about the Konqueror changes was that they were
>> taking a combination top class file manager and mediocre web browser and
>> making it merely a mediocre web browser.
>>

> I know, dumb move. The thinking is that they need a dedicated web
> browser (NIH syndrome, no?) so instead of developing a new one, they
> kept Konqueror as the web browser so that yet _another_ browser would
> not be added to the browser market. WTF?

the smart decisiuon would have been to keep konqueror as an excellent
file manager, and create a new dedicated web browser called dolphin.
and that would'nt have been hard since konqueror was already an
excellent file manager, and they only need a UI for their new browser,
since it will use khtml as a backend, right? i really wish i can
understand what the KDE devs were thinking when they took their
choices.  at the very least, know what they were hoping to accomplish,
assuming that everything went fine and bug-free for them, because no
matter what, that decision was crazy!

>> And this angers me as well. FOSS adapts all of the time.  Samba works with
>> windows shares; it doesn't complain that they are poorly implemented.  kpdf
>> opens and displays the Adobe Acrobat format, and adapts to changes in that
>> format; it doesn't complain about the format.  OpenOffice supports ODF, but
>> it also supports the MS XML formats because its users need it to; it doesn't
>> refuse to support them because they don't conform to ODF standards.
>>

> I was unaware of this attitude in Konq devs. In fact, I remember
> reading about how Gmail was making it hard on konqi with the
> obfusicated javascript, and how the devs decoded it. Could you post
> links showing where konqueror devs refused to make the browser work
> with non-standard code? Because so far as I understand most of the web
> is nonstandard code.
>
> By the way, don't get me started on OOo's implementation of ODF.

i'm not sure i know of any official kde source stating this, but
everywhere konqueror is mentioned, the author states how the konq
developers try to make konq as much standard compliant as possible,
and refuse to tweak it so non-standard websites (all websites? :-P)
look better. i know the gmail article you mentioned, it's in the blog
of one of the konq developers.
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1195
you surely noticed his attitude? how much he hates to make konqueror
non standard compliant? hw he hated having to tweak a few stuff to
make gmail behave better. and that's only because gmail is popular.
i'm sure he'll never agree to tweak anything in konqueror for other
sites to work.
and to be honest, i fully back him, and think he's right. if we have a
lot more programmers around the world taking his stand, we'll have a
better standard compliant web. i mean if only a tiny fraction of the
web is compliant standard, how can we call it "standard" ? what a
shame, really.

i'm not very knowledgeable is office formats and their
implementations. what's wrong with openoffice and odf? firstly, i
understand from what you said, that ODF is not created by the
openoffice team? i used to think so, until your sentence confused me
:-P so who created it? and what are openoffice doing wrong with it?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems