Retarded != Stupid (was Re: Why do people dislike Dolphin?)

p.daniels carl1086 at morris.umn.edu
Tue Nov 4 18:12:29 UTC 2008

On Monday November 3 2008 08:33:45 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Because D3lphin was pretty much utterly retarded compared to Konqueror.

Not to be a nitpicker and not to call you particularly out, Derek, because
I've seen other people use it on this list as well, but could we please not
use "retarded" as a synonym for "bad/stupid?"

I have a mildly disabled brother whom I love. "Retarded" when misused in this
manner is a fairly offensive word to me, pretty close to what I assume people
of color feel when they hear (that other word that civilized folk don't use).
We're all on the right side of the bell curve here, our vocabularies are
bigger than that.

Respectfully yours,
p.daniels