Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:53:49 UTC 2008

2008/11/4 nepal <nepal.roade at googlemail.com>:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2008/11/4 nepal <nepal.roade at googlemail.com>:
>> > I need to clarify a couple of things not covered by the
>> > original brief.
>> >
>> > 1. I'm using Kubuntu 7.10
>>
>> 7.10 or 8.10?
>
> ??? can you not see the line above yours?

I wanted to clarify. Although 7.10 is still supported by Canonical, it
is not the state of KDE art. I thought that maybe you had typed 7.10
instead of 8.10 out of habit. In a similar fashion, to this day I
start writing dates with 19^w^w200...

>> What version of KDE?
>
> 3.5.8.

Two versions behind the current.

>> > as an example it reminded me of korganiser/kcontact
>> > when it was given a 'side panel' ala ms outlook.
>>
>> Specifically, what bothers you? Could you attach a
>> screenshot illustrating it? This is too vague. I am
>> unfamiliar with MS Outlook.
>
> No, too many years ago.

I meant, could you send a screenshot of Dolphin specifying what bother
you. However, it would need to be a later version, preferably 4.1 or
Trunk.

>> I will word it more clearly. You can continue to use
>> Konqueror. Distros are free to decide which file manager
>> to make default.
>
> You don't need to re-word it any way, I perfectly understood
> your line and thought it facetious. Don't you know what
> that means?

Actually, I've never heard the word. I am not a native English speaker
and the fault is on my, not you. I could google it, but I figured that
it would be simpler for me to clarify. I will make it a point to learn
the word, however.

>> > It reminds me of windbloes.
>>
>> I am not familiar with windbloes. What specific details
>> look ugly to you? The shapes of the icons? The colours?
>> The font?
>
> Can't say, whenever I look at a windbloes screen, I throw up
> all over it obscuring everything. ;)

I'm sorry, I can't help with that. When you have issues with KDE then
let me know what they are and I will either help you address them or
file a bug. I am not active in the winbloes community and have no
interest.

> What you are getting is the impression I was left with when
> I had the misfortune of coming into contact with D**phin.

I agree that d3lphin was a terrible file manager and it should never
have been the default in Kubuntu. Dolphin is just getting to the point
where I am using it on KDE 4 systems, but I still recommend to wait
until 4.2.

>> Krusader really is a great file manager. I highly
>> recommend it, especially for technical users like you and
>> me. Dolphin is not for us.
>
> so why do you keep asking me about it?
> especially when I've made it clear I have NO interest in it
> whatsoever and haven't looked at it in a long long time.

I asked in a general sense what is disliked about Dolphin in this
thread. In fact, if you have no interest in Dolphin then I don't know
why you are posting in this thread. In any case, I am very interested
in knowing what users do not like about Dolphin so that I can help
improve it. You don't have to tell me. However, complaining that
something is not how you like, however not specifying exactly what it
is that you like, does not seem very productive to me. My interest is
in filing bugs in Dolphin and making it better for users, including
you.

>> Please, whenever you find a function that you feel is
>> missing, either file a bug or write to the list and cc
>> me. Thanks.
>
> ok.

Thanks!

--