Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 4 12:24:49 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008, Steve Lamb wrote:
>p.daniels wrote:
>> 8.5. Dolphin's slow. Slow to start, slow to use. (This is not a Dolphin
>> vs. Krusader comparison, it's just plain slow.) Amazing that one could
>> strip out so much functionality from a file manager and still manage to
>> make it *slower* than the one it's supposedly replacing.
>
>    Actually, after looking at the home page for Krusader I am actually
>shocked Dolphin was ever made.  Supposedly the whole reason for Dolphin's
>being was to be a separate file manager independent of other components.  I
>can respect that, really, I can.
>
>    From Krusader's home page.  It's been around for 7 years now.  IE, it is
> a dedicated file manager that has had years to mature.
>
>    "We need a discrete file manager to take over for the code we no longer
>want to maintain in Konqueror.  Do we incorporate this stable, mature,
>powerful piece of software or start from scratch!?"
>
>    "START FROM SCRATCH!!!"  "YEA!!!!"
>
>    My brain hurts now.

So does mine.  I downloaded Krusader here, and while its got some nice eye
candy, if I want to get something done, there simply is no substitute for
good old Midnight Commander, aka mc.  It may not be 'purty' but you'll be
hard pressed to finding a missing blade in that Swiss Army Knife.  And its
been around since the late 90's when I first tried linux.  Fully matured, it
hasn't needed much 'development' now in several years.  It Just Works(TM).
And in a pinch, it doesn't even need X.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)