A compromise solution.

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Tue Nov 4 09:27:39 UTC 2008

Just in case someone here ran into the same sort of problems as I
did, I'll share a few ideas:

I tried several times to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10: no go.
Everything locked up. Then, fresh install: still no go, only the
upper half of my screen was visible. After some fiddling with
X.org.conf I got a full screen and began to use KDE4. Then I
discovered - like many others here - that I had lost a lot of
functionality, especially Konqueror, but lots of other things too,
like all the options to customize my desktop easily.

OK, i gave up. Here's what I did in order to get happy again:

Fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10. Well, no decent file manager here
either, only the crappy nautilus. But the install went without a
hiccup. Then, installed kubuntu-desktop, kmail etc.. Fine, but still
no usable file manager. Installed krusader, which is a bit 'over the
top' for me. So I found a fine compromise between unusable Dolphin
and the geeky Krusader: 'emelfm2' (sudo apt-get install emelfm2).

So, now I have the best of two worlds: KDE + Gnome + a very fine and
potent file manager with a intuitive, graphic interface. Now I can
keep on upgrading both flavours automagically until KDE4 reaches
maturity. Happy days are here again...

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux Ubuntu 8.10 *********