Thumb drive ext2 slow write speed

Bogdan Bivolaru bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:00:55 UTC 2008

Hello,
Here's an idea: try formatting the flash in a solid state file system. Here
is a list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#Flash_memory_.2F_solid_state_media_file_systems

I'd try my luck with JFFS2 or YAFFS1 or YAFFS2, as they both seem to be
free. I Have no hands on experience with solid state file systems though.

Bogdan

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Nigel Ridley <nigel at prayingforisrael.net>wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >> I just got a new SanDisk 2GB cruzer micro and formatted it to ext2
> >> (using qtparted). I then proceeded to copy just under 600MB of data ---
> >> it took more than 10 minutes!
> >
> > 10 min. would be 1MB/s write speed. What is the rated write speed of that
> > device? I think 1MB/s is nothing unusual for a cheap flash disk. My FAT32
> > formatted (no-name) USB stick would take about 7 minutes write time for a
> > 600MB file - that would be a similar (yes, I know waiting >3 more minutes
> > is an eternity :) speed to yours.
> >
> >> What's going on? Is it because of ext2?
> >> Should I reformat it as ext3?
> >
> > I don't think ext3 would help. With ext3 you have additional writes for
> > the journal, i.e it would be even slower.
> >
> >> This is on a Dell Inspiron 1525 (with USB 2).
> >
> > The limit is the low write speed of the flash devices, not the USB speed.
>
> It is a 'SanDisk Cruzer Micro Skin' and it specifically says that it is
> "Hi-speed USB 2.0 Flash
> Drive" and that it "Hi-speed USB 2.0 port required for high speed data
> transfer".
>
> My Inspirion 1525 definitely has a hi-speed USB 2.0 port.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>

> > Nils

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", 1971, Alan Kay:
http://www.smalltalk.org/alankay.html