Hardy and Floppy Disk (SOLVED)

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Mon Nov 3 21:22:40 UTC 2008

>>> Yes, I know that floppies are supposed to be Stone Age now. However, my
>>> computer came with a floppy drive when it was made for me so I decided
>>> to use it.
>>>
>>> I have my accounts on GNUCash, which creates a small text file, so I
>>> keep a copy on a floppy disk as a back up. And it has proved very useful
>>> more than once. It would be overkill to use a CD or a DVD for it.
>>>
>> I'd not rely on a floppy as backup, they tend(ed) to get scratched or
>> demagnetized too easily. What about a usb flash stick? They're a lot
>> more resilient to cell phones :)
>> I.
>>

> I have considered that too. When I asked about it in my local computer
> shop, (the people who built my computer for me) they said that memory
> sticks are not meant to be used for back-ups. I know that floppies can
> be a bit dodgy, so I actually keep two backups on separate disks.

What about MToolsFM? It uses mtools utilities, which are especially meant for DOS floppies. MToolsFM
is a graphical frontend for mtools. It allows access to DOS-formatted media without mounting.

Homepage - http://mtoolsfm.sourceforge.net/

Can be installed:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install mtoolsfm && sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg --configure -a
&& sudo apt-get clean

$ sudo apt-cache show mtoolsfm
Package: mtoolsfm
  MToolsFM is a graphical interface to the mtools package, which provides
  stateless (= no mounting) access to FAT (DOS) formatted floppy diskettes.