Why do people dislike Dolphin?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:54:39 UTC 2008

> I totally agree with you. While I'm always glad when people are replying, I
> was actually hoping the haters of Dolphin would post some of their reasons for
> not liking it.

I did not like it. I have not used the newer updated versions so this
is all about when it was first made standard in Kubuntu.
To start with it makes a little file in every directory it visits. I
really don't need 1000s of little Dolphin files all over the place. It
just looks bad (Files all over the place) and is poor programming
IMOHO. They could have done it with a little database somewhere or
just a file. Next, it can not show files like Konqueror can. If I have
an HTML file and click it with Konqueror I can view it. I can't do
that with Dolphin. And last of all it lacked buttons that I use all
the time in Konqueror. I did find that those buttons are there, if you
hunt for them and then modify the tool bar yourself. I also think I
had other problems with it but don't remember for sure any more. I
think it might have crashed on me a LOT.

The basic thing problem is, why take something away from me that works
well and replace it with something that at that point was still beta
like? It comes back to this thing about quality. I use my computer as
a tool. I don't want a working part of that tool replaced with
something that does not work yet. After a program sh*ts on you, you
really don't want to give it a second chance. I am sure someday I will
move to KDE4, when it is ready and be forced to give Dolphin a second
chance. By the sounds of it, they worked out the bugs now but it still
can't surf the web or do a lot of other things from what I have heard.

I really think that my favorite distro Kubuntu is suffering from a big
quality control issue. It looks like I might have to go to Lenny do
avoid this problem and that is really sad. I want to keep having my
Kubuntu and know that I can trust them to only make programs standard
that are mature enough to be used in a production settings. I have no
problem at all with the stuff being in the background like KDE4 was in
8.04. This is perfect! I love to test out the new stuff and report
back bugs. I would even be happy with a big desktop icon that
said,"Test ME, I am dolphin the new file manager". But please don't
make it default until it is really ready.

Hope I answered your question. My memory of exactly what was wrong is
a bit foggy at this point.

--
Douglas E Knapp