Konqueror rules, Dolphin must die

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Nov 2 17:04:03 UTC 2008

On 11/02/2008 Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>  I also don't understand what is insulting all of you, who wrote to me
>  regarding the way I see the dolphin app.

That's part of the point. It's how _you_ see it. Your opinion, and your
certainly welcome to have it. However, there are other people that use
it and like it for what it does well.

In one e-mail you mention not moving files properly. I use it to
move/copy files from one directory to another and from one computer to
another all the time and never have the problem you mention [
8.04/3.5.10 ]. I open Dolphin, navigate to where I want to be, switch to
split screen mode, navigate that to where I want it, and drag files from
one side to the other.

You also mention being stuck in icon view. Mine isn't. I _think_ I used
View > View Mode to set it to details. There's also a setting in the
preferences to set Dolphin to remember each directories view settings so
you can have different views for different directories.

I also like the fact that I can generally use Dolphin to open a terminal
window already in the directory I want it in rather than having to
navigate from the default opening point.

>  It's itself is stupid and
>  even
>  worse is that it's defaulted and installed automatically, so you or
>  the
>  people who did it should apologise not me. Further it's worth to
>  discuss if
>  it can be changes, which I don't think can be done, so please stay on
>  topic
>  and stop boring me with this politeness nonsense. It's too late to
>  change
>  the way I see the world and mostly I stand for what I say.

It's never to late to change. One _can_ teach an old dog a new trick.

>  This means
>  when
>  I say something is stupid it really is at least for me, if you like
>  it or
>  not.
>
>  regards

Dolphin is _not_ perfect, but it does do some things extremely well. I
_really_ got serious about moving to Linux just before Dolphin made it's
appearance on the scene. I guess I started using Dolphin without to many
pre-conceived notions. In a sense we have sort of grown up together.

AND, for those things that Dolphin doesn't do well there's Konqueror,
the Swiss Army Knife of KDE.

--
Opinions are like A___holes, everybody has one.
Often they stink.

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.