Problems with KDE4 under Kubuntu Hardy

Rosalind Mitchell rcm at swimbarrow.co.uk
Thu May 29 15:09:14 UTC 2008

I've been trying to get KDE4 running on my ADM64 box under Kubuntu Hardy, but
it's doing my crust in.  I cannot get it to run beyond the splash screen - it
goes through all the motions and then dumps me back in the login screen.

When KDE4 was first made available as an alpha I tried it out and it worked as
well as a 4.00 alpha release could be expected to under Gutsy.  However, when
Hardy came out with an allegedly workable KDE4 option I was keen to see if it
was in better shape, but I have had no luck in getting it running.  Even the
live CD version simply loops round and round the startup process, returning
to the beginning each time.

I have tried logging into a failsafe session and then running

%/usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde > user.log 2>$1

which produces this output in user.log:

Link points to "/tmp/urizen-kde4/kde-urizen"
Link points to "/var/tmp/urizen-kde4/kdecache-urizen"
Link points to "/tmp/urizen-kde4/ksocket-urizen"
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
kdeinit4: Launched KLauncher, pid = 7186 result = 0
kdeinit4: opened connection to :0.0
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kded4
kdeinit4: Launched KDED, pid = 7187 result = 0
kdeinit4: Got EXT_EXEC '/usr/lib/kde4/bin/kbuildsycoca4' from launcher.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: PID 7189 terminated.
kdeinit4: Got EXEC_NEW 'kconf_update' from launcher.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kdeinit4: PID 7190 terminated.
kdeinit4: PID 7187 terminated.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kcminit_startup
kdeinit4: Launched 'kcminit_startup', pid = 7191 result = 0
kdeinit4: Got SETENV 'KDE_MULTIHEAD=false' from klauncher.
kdeinit4: PID 7191 terminated.
kdeinit4: Got KWRAPPER 'ksmserver' from socket.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/bin/ksmserver
<unknown program name>(7194)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId:
creating:  "scafell;1212072492;737122;7194_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
kdeinit4: PID 7194 terminated.
kdeinit4: Got
SETENV 'SESSION_MANAGER=local/scafell:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7195,inet6/scafell:50174,inet/scafell:44789'
from klauncher.
kdeinit4: Got EXEC_NEW 'kwin' from launcher.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/bin/kwin
kdeinit4: Got EXEC_NEW 'kconf_update' from launcher.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kdeinit4: PID 7199 terminated.
Hangup
GOT SIGHUP
Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed
to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-lYPyTxiGsa: Connection refused
startkde: Shutting down...
kdeinit4: terminate KDE.
kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
No protocol specified
xprop:  unable to open display ':0'
No protocol specified
xprop:  unable to open display ':0'
startkde: Done.

I've searched and searched but I seem to be alone with this.  Does anybody
have any ideas to rescue this maiden in distress?

Rosie

--
Currently reading: The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Enitharmon's Cave: http://enitharmon.wordpress.com