Restart of router

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 27 18:07:28 BST 2008

John DeCarlo wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Normally I leave the router on all the time. Occasionally I need to
>> reset it by turning it off and on again. If I do this with the
>> computer running I can't access the internet. I look in settings and
>> it all appears to be working. Eth0 is marked as enabled. I have to
>> switch the computer off and then reboot. Now everything is OK.
>>

> You are correct that this should not be happening.  It doesn't happen to
> me with my Gutsy install.

It has always happened to me, on two different laptops.  I suffer frequent
power outages, which take the router offline, and the only way I've got it
to work is to power off the laptop (it doesn't even need to be a shutdown -
hibernate works) and restart.

> Here is what should be happening, for your information, and where it could
> be going wrong:
>
> Your router is almost certainly set up to give out IP addresses to your
> computers (via DHCP).  When you turn it off and turn it on again, the
> connection is broken and things have to get reconnected.

True.  However, the DHCP settings should be retained on your system, because
your lease hasn't expired.

BUT, what is happening in Network manager is that it sends out a DHCP
request and the router never responds.  While NM really should proceed to
use the lease you already have, the fact that the router doesn't respond
seems to be a problem with the router (unless, in fact, the wireless really
isn't sending the request, though NM thinks it is).

> Finally, you don't need to turn off your computer.  Simply go into
> settings
> and disable eth0, then enable it again.  That should force it to go to the
> router and get a new IP address.

Definitely doesn't work.  Something like that _should_ work, because in
essence that's all that's happening when I hibernate/resume, but I have yet
to figure it out.
--
derek