Strange but true 8.04 updates today May 26

Walter Kerkhofs walter.kerkhofs at scarlet.be
Tue May 27 17:33:24 UTC 2008

Op Tuesday 27 May 2008 01:23:26 schreef chuck adams:
> Thought this might be of interest and maybe some one has
> an answer or two.
>
> This system that I use daily started with a clean install of
> 8.04 beta and upgraded as time has passed.  Works just
> great and today a new kernel and a new nvidia-glx-new
> and all went together just fine.
>
> So, having another AMD Athlon 64x2 with a nvidia board
> that wasn't working with anything since a beta in mid-April,
> I decided it was time to try again.
>
> If I take the 8.04 DVD release and install it cleanly.  Then
> wait until I get the little green video board icon in the lower
> task bar.  Then install the nvidia-glx-new and enable and
> reboot the screen comes up with the desired 1280x1024
> resolution that I have wanted for a long time.  So far so good.
>
> Then I bring up the adept manager using the little bear hugging
> the red triangle, type in the secret password, and start the updates.
> After they are all downloaded and the install starts I get the hated
> "dependency broken can't continue" message.  Can't tell which
> package is broken.
>
> So I quit and then do:
>
> sudo apt-get clean
> sudo apt-get update
>
> and then try one package at a time that was listed in
> the GUI.   Now get messages about corrupted tar files.
>
> So.  Things seem to be broken for a new install and then
> upgrade.
>
> Any help appreciated in tracking down the problem.
> Don't know which package to blame and file a bug report.
>
> Film at 11.
>
> Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I can not help you, because the update of the kernel caused some troubles with
my system.
It seems to me there is something wrong with this kernel.

While updating the kernel I got a message that there was a new menu.list for
GRUB, so I accepted the changes.
When the system rebooted I selected  the new kernel, but then I got a message
saying:

Can not mount partition...

Press any key too continue.

After pressing on a key I got back where I started, I did this several times
but the system wont boot.
Only when I select the old kernel (1.6.24-16) then the system boots up again.
Also when I open /boot/grub in Konqueror and move the mouse over the menu.list
file, al it says is unkown file.

Walter Kerkhofs

--
www.kubuntu.org