Adding sudo permissions to additional user

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun May 25 22:56:48 UTC 2008

Thomas Katke wrote:

>  >   My daughter came to me tonight & said she was over Windows what
>  >could I do but give her Kubuntu :-)  She is delighted & is happily
>  >chatting in Kopete. I was going to show her how to add software but
> she
>  >cant sudo as it denies her password. Does anyone no how to give her
> sudo
>  >functionality?
>  >
>  >
> Hi Cary, Basically you can return to the old ways of unix,
> give root a password and give the password to your
> daughter.

Sorry, that's just plain stupid.  If someone who knows what they're doing
really wants to activate root, that's one thing (imo, not smart, but it's
their choice), but telling someone who wants their child to have _some_
access to give them a root password is hugely irresponsible.  One of the
great things about sudo is that you can give your kid practically all
access - except to delete the logs that show what he/she's been doing.
--
derek