Adding sudo permissions to additional user

Thomas Katke tomkatke at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:36:35 UTC 2008

 >Cary Wrote:
 >Message: 3
 >Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 20:52:52 +1000
 >From: Cary Bielenberg <cary at bielenberg.id.au>
 >Subject: Adding sudo permissions to additional user
 >To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
 >
 >Hi,
 >   My daughter came to me tonight & said she was over Windows what
 >could I do but give her Kubuntu :-)  She is delighted & is happily
 >chatting in Kopete. I was going to show her how to add software but
she
 >cant sudo as it denies her password. Does anyone no how to give her
sudo
 >functionality?
 >

 >TIA Cary

Hi Cary, Basically you can return to the old ways of unix,
give root a password and give the password to your
daughter.

Open a terminal and
$ sudo passwd root
Password: *********             #it's asking for your password
Enter new UNIX password: *********
Retype new UINX password: *********
passwd: password updated sucessfully
$ su
Password: **********      #put in the new password
root #                            # and you get root user access
root # aptitude              # my favorite software adding and
updating program

Hope this helps,
tom