OT: Kmail, POP3, list, thread and Gmail

lanzen lanzenesi at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:07:34 UTC 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008 18:43:10 Sylviane et Perry White wrote:

> I have 2 problems here.
> 1) I have yet to find a free SMTP server that works.
>         I opened an account at yahoo.fr, got POP to work but not SMTP,
>         probably all my settings are right...
> ---smtp.mail.yahoo.fr port 465, authentication as pvvwhite (or I tried
> ---pvvwhite at yahoo.fr too) and password they provided.

Hum, I'm just doing a bit of testing and so far yahoo is not accepting relay.
I have to use my yahoo account in the from field. They must have tightened
their policy. When it works, I have port 25 authenticated on
smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I'll do some further testing and I'll let you know.

>         I just think they are reluctant to provide this service for free.

Very likely.

> 2) Even if SMTP sending worked, I would probably be pvvwhite at yahoo.fr
>         at Kubuntu list.
>
> How is it possible to authenticate with (for example) smtp.mail.yahoo.fr as
> spwhite at sunrise.ch?
> Is it possible that you, Lisi, and several clients of her (on other ISPs)
> don't have to authenticate for your providers SMTPs?

Yes, I don't have to authenticate with my provider. That makes life easier, of
course.

--
lanzen