Resizing a partition

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat May 24 15:24:21 UTC 2008

Michael wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 but the upgrade tool says I
> don't have enough room on the / (root) partition for the temporary
> tool/file it downloads.

You could make some room if you delete the apt cache with the command

sudo apt-get clean

but I don't know if that is enough.

> My question is, why
> isn't Gparted letting me take space from /dev/hdb2 to make /dev/hdb1
> bigger?  And, as a related question, why is /dev/hdb1 by it self and
> /dev9, 8, 7, 6, 5 all under /dev/hdb2 ?

The partition /dev/hdb1 is a primary partition while /dev/hdb2 is an
extended partition. All the other partitions hdb5 ... 9 are logical
partitions within hdb2. In theory, if you want to resize the start of
hdb2 you will first have to delete hdb5 which is the first logical
partition. But I'm not sure that is at all possible. You can find more
information about partitions here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning>

Nils