Problems with nVidia Resolution on Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.0

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 21:15:29 UTC 2008

im using an nvidia geforce 7300 card, and it is working properly on hardy,
and i use the monitor settings from kde to change resolution, and i also
noticed that i get far less problems if i let the restricted drivers manager
do the installation of the card. back in gutsy, i used to run into a lot of
problems after installing the nvidia package from nvidia's website.

2008/5/23 Paul S <paulatgm at gmail.com>:

> Ifeanyi said the following on 05/20/2008 06:01 PM:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ever since I upgraded from Kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04, I've been having
> > problems locking in my screen resolution.  I've had to work around this
> > problem by opening the system settings once I login to KDE and clicking
> > on the screen resolution settings option.  If I'm lucky, this will
> > resize the screen to the size I want (1280 X 1024).  Sometimes, however,
> > this results in a crash of KWIN or some other display-related
> application.
>
> according to the release notes
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804 kde does not support
> nvidia cards for setting resolution.  They recommend using the
> nvidia-settings program.  It should be on your menu.
>
> It's also what I use with my nvidia card too.
>
> regards,

Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.