Slow mouse with Remote Desktop Connection

Brad De Vries devriesbj at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:51:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Anthony E. Caudel
<tony.caudel at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Brad De Vries wrote:
>> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Anthony E. Caudel
>> <tony.caudel at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> When using the remote desktop connection (krdc) under hardy, the mouse
>>> is _VERY_ slow and jerky on the client side (the computer from which I
>>> am connecting).  If seen from the server side (on the computer to which
>>> I am connecting) it moves fine.
>>>
>>> I have tried setting HWCursor off in xorg.conf but no help.
>>>
>>> Has any else seen/solved this problem?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>>>

>> Anthony, I don't have a solution, but there is a work-around.  There
>> is an option within krdc that's worded something like "show remote
>> pointer".  If you turn that on, you'll see a dot for the pointer.  You
>> can move at normal speeds with the dot-pointer even after you've left
>> the arrow-pointer in the dust and your clicks apply to the
>> dot-pointer.
>>
>> Hopefully that'll help until a "real" solution is uncovered.
>>
>> Brad.
>>

> I can't find that option within krdc.  I'm using version 3.5.8.
> There is an a command line option called --local-cursor but it says that
> is for VNC only.  Are you sure you are talking about krdc and not vnc or
> one of the variants?
>
> Tony
>
> --
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>   -- Benjamin Franklin

Sorry Tony, you are correct.  I was using krdc to make a VNC
connection and there is an option in the drop-down options list
labeled "Always Show Local Cursor".  When I turn that on, I see the
arrow-pointer and a dot-pointer, actually it's more of a "black box
with a white/clear circle in the middle"-pointer.  The dot-pointer is
never slow but the arrow-pointer is often times slow.

I do not see the same option when using krdc to make a RDP connection.

Brad.