Problems installing any version, up to 8.04

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Wed May 21 14:18:24 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Mark Halegua wrote:
> Any version of ubuntu I've tried to start as a live CD or install comes up
> with a similar screen, and that includes 8.04, 7.10, Linux Mint 3.0 and
> Linux Mint 4.0, all based on ubuntu.
>
> Can anyone tell me what may be causing this?  I don't see any error
> messages, and dmesg isn't showing me any problems.  The only errors are
> with the fd0 sector 0 lookup.   And that's because there is no floppy disk.

It has something to do with SCSI based systems but I can't tell you
specifically what.

I ran 7.10 on 4 or 5 computers and had no installation problems.  Then I tried
to switch my email server from SuSE over to  7.10.  This particular system is
SCSI based whereas the others were not.

I got that error many times and spent a day trying to get the system loaded
but did not succeed.  I finally copied over all of the files from a different
7.10 system  and it was able to boot with a lot of timeouts.  Once I got the
system squared away and updated, things seemed to settle down and it has been
running nicely since.

I would submit an error report if I were you.  Unless you stand on your head,
you're not going to get it to install. IMHO