How do you make the logitech mouse work right?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:19:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:

> Knapp wrote:
> > After a lot of playing I got my mouse to work at last. My nice mouse has
> > been plain for years! But now all 8 button work!
> > Problem is that when I roll the mouse button I get a page forwards or
> back
> > in firefox and other programs.
> > When I move the scroll wheel sideways the text scrolls up and down. This
> is
> > backwards!
> > What is wrong and how do I fix it?
> >
> > Logitech rx1000 (no it is not an mx1000) It has 8 buttons normal 3 plus
> > scroll wheel and tilting scroll wheel and one extra on top.
>
> [snip]
>
> This might help:
>
> I asked about ButtonMapping on the xorg mailing list (btw, I think it's
> intended for developers
> only...there doesn't appear to be a user forum...so my newbie-ness barged
> right in the middle of
> their developer discussions :blush: ). Anyway, one person replied:
> "xev and other X applications see the logical buttons. They expect 1 to be
> select, 2 to be paste,
> 3 to be context menu, 4 scroll up, 5 down, 6 left, 7 right."
> So, I think I get some of it finally. ButtonMapping maps physical buttons
> on the mouse to logical
> buttons. The places from left to right are the physical buttons and the
> numbers in those places
> are the logical buttons. To be more clear, to get standard right-handed
> mouse configuration we use:
> Code:
>
> "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
>
> This makes button '1'(the button under your index finger if you're
> right-handed) map to the
> 'select' action and button '3'(the button under your middle finger) map to
> the 'context menu'
> action. So, this means to get left-handed mouse configuration we simply
> switch:
> Code:
>
> "ButtonMapping" "3 2 1 6 7"
>
> I just tested it and this is exactly what happens. I was also told that the
> PS/2 driver we're
> using only has fields for 5 physical buttons, so any numbers after "1 2 3 6
> 7 ..." wouldn't mean
> anything (may cause problems even, haven't tried). This is also why xev
> never sees any action
> from my tilt-wheel. If I wanted to be crazy (and usually I do, just not in
> this case) I could map
> the wheel to forward/back with
> Code:
>
> "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5"
>
> Use 'exev' to find out button mapping numbers
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Thanks that is a bunch of really helpful info and I thought for sure the
problem was fixed but it is not. :-(
The first thing I would point out is that I am using the evdev driver in an
attempt to get ALL 8 buttons working and they do. But the mapping is still
not working write. It seems that changing the "Buttons" list does nothing.
Sad, I thought for sure you had it because I had it listed wrong.
Any other ideas? BTW I could go back to my normal mouse setting and just
have 6 buttons but I want the 3 extra buttons to work. And they are, if I
could just get them mapped.
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

--
Douglas E Knapp

1. Sun Tzu said: Raising a host of a hundred thousand
men and marching them great distances entails heavy loss
on the people and a drain on the resources of the State.
The daily expenditure will amount to a thousand ounces
of silver. There will be commotion at home and abroad,
and men will drop down exhausted on the highways.
As many as seven hundred thousand families will be impeded
in their labor.

2. Hostile armies may face each other for years,
striving for the victory which is decided in a single day.
This being so, to remain in ignorance of the enemy's
condition simply because one grudges the outlay of a hundred
ounces of silver in honors and emoluments, is the height
of inhumanity.