How do you make the logitech mouse work right?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:39:04 BST 2008

After a lot of playing I got my mouse to work at last. My nice mouse has
been plain for years! But now all 8 button work!
Problem is that when I roll the mouse button I get a page forwards or back
in firefox and other programs.
When I move the scroll wheel sideways the text scrolls up and down. This is
backwards!
What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Logitech rx1000 (no it is not an mx1000) It has 8 buttons normal 3 plus
scroll wheel and tilting scroll wheel and one extra on top.

This is the Xorg.conf that finally got the mouse to work!

Thanks!
Douglas E Knapp

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
    Driver          "evdev"
    Option          "CorePointer"
    Option          "Protocol"              "evdev"
    Option          "Dev Name"              "Logitech USB Optical Mouse"
    Option          "Dev Phys"         "usb-*/input0"
    Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event2"
    Option          "Buttons"               "8"
    Option        "ButtonMapping"        "1 2 3 4 5 8 6 7"
    Option        "Resolution"         "1000"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons"    "no"
    Option            "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
#    Option        "XAxisMapping" "4 5"
#    Option            "YAxisMapping" "4 5 7 6"
EndSection