OT: Kmail, POP3, list, thread and Gmail

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 19 23:53:28 UTC 2008

Sylviane et Perry White wrote:

> The mails I send to this list appear in my Gmail mail box but *are not
> retrieved by KMail*.
> This problem is not specific to this list nor (probably) to KMail...it is
> with Gmail according to sunrise technical support.
> I didn't have this problem until the provider that hosts my mail account
> (xxx at freesurf.ch)[pop.freesurf.ch] decided to close it and use something
> based on GMail instead (xxx at sunrise.ch)[pop.gmail.com]
> All my apologies to ask this OT question but googling didn't help and I
> have no other better place to ask.

Googling didn't help?  Surely "gmail mail-list" would find this as the
number one FAQ!  Quite simply, gmail doesn't keep multiple copies of any
mail with the same message-id.  You send mail, it gets a message id, and it
comes back with the same ID - so it's discarded.

Personally, I don't see the problem (all my mail goes through a "hosted"
gmail service which sounds like what you now have) but then all mail lists
I can possibly get that way (this, included), I read via knode and gmane
news.

> Thanks for pointers           Perry

Well, naturally.  I have two (pointer _dogs_ that is :-) ).
--
derek