OT: Kmail, POP3, list, thread and Gmail

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at sunrise.ch
Sun May 18 07:14:16 BST 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008 18:36, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > Do you mean that in Kmail settings under sending host you wrote something
> > else than "smtp.gmail.com"? (I used to have there "smtp-auth.freesurf.ch"
> > but my ISP freesurf made me change. )
>
> Yes - I write <mailhost.zen.co.uk>
>
> > I whish I could figure out the details of what happens when you send a
> > mail through your  ISP's SMTP...how can this mail know it has to transit
> > through Gmail?
>
> It doesn't.  It doesn't transit through Gmail. It goes through my ISP's
> mailserver.
So it will not appear in the "sent mail folder" in Gmail site.
(snip)
>   I have only once - 2 days ago - set someone up to use
> Gmail's SMTP. (Which, incidentally, now can use port 25.
Funny, I had to change it from 587 to 465 and last time I looked it
automagically turned to 25.
(snip)
> > There must be a more direct link between your computer and
> > Gmail.
>
> No, only POP3.
Actually not relevant there since your mail doesn't transit through Gmail.

> I hope I have managed to make myself clearer.  If not, please come back
> again with questions!
You made yourself perfectly clear and I have no more questions concerning the
answers you provided me... but I still may come back with questions.

Thanks a lot		Perry
--
BOFH excuse #264: Your modem doesn't speak English