Hardy Upgrade Killed vmware server

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat May 10 21:30:01 UTC 2008

Edmund Ĺaugasson wrote:
> Patching gave errors:
> $ patch -p1 < vmnet-2.6.24.patch

> patching file vm_basic_types.h
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 163.

There is something seriously wrong with the patches and / or with the
source you are trying to patch. As this hunk failed, it isn't useful to
continue.

> Hunk #2 succeeded at 187 with fuzz 1 (offset 10 lines).
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

That's a strange error - I'm not sure what it means, but at least at this
part the patch is faulty.

> $ patch -p1 < vmmon-2.6.24.patch
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
> patching file include/vcpuset.h
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
> Apply anyway? [n]
> Skipping patch.

Did you apply the patch several times? You shouldn't do that. Start with a
fresh source package to patch. Or maybe the patch isn't meant to be used
with the version of the source you are trying to patch.

> Now running sudo ./vmware-config.pl gave finally the following error
> after numerous of compiling errors (more than 1000 rows, so command
> line history did not fit them):

It doesn't help to run this program if the patches were not 100%
successful.

Sorry, I can't verify the problem because I don't use vmware. But I think
you have a damaged download or incompatible versions of patches and
source. I would first start with a fresh download of both the source and
patches. And if that doesn't work, you could contact the author of the
patch to find out what the problem is.

Nils