Non playing of music CDs

Neil Winchurst neil at holsdev.vispa.com
Sat May 10 16:37:25 UTC 2008

I have recently installed Gutsy as a fresh install. It is going very
well except for playing of music CDs . My previous distro was Edgy
and that worked OK.

I have tried Amarok and KSCD but neither works. The most recent
occasion the whole computer locked up and I had to use the reset
button. Nasty. I have compared my current fstab with the previous one
(I have a printout of the old one) and the only difference re the
cdrom line is that the new one includes the 'exec' option. I don't
know if that is relevant. Here is my current fstab file.

#

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0

# /dev/sda1

UUID=c72f24c4-c540-4017-b437-b68e73e85174 /               ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1

# /dev/sda5

UUID=1107a4cd-bb0e-4d06-9c5c-596b8e2078e0 none            swap
sw              0       0

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user, noauto,exec 0 0

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto
rw,user,noauto,exec 0       0 neilwin at Minerva:~$

(I have added some blank lines to make it easier to read.)

As I said above, the only difference with the /dev/hdc  line is the
word 'exec'.

The floppy drive is working fine by the way.

Has anyone else had similar problems ? Any help gratefully received.

Neil Winchurst