Installing and newbies

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri May 9 13:17:04 UTC 2008

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have installed kubuntu on my brother's laptop, for example, but I
> have the CD so I have commented out the reference to the CD for him
> too. And I am surprised by the above information about the CD being
> the preference if the versions are the same. I wonder why.

That's simple - the majority of (k)ubuntu users apparently _still_ don't
have all-you-can-use broadband internet connections, so that's the way the
developers want it.  Technically, it is used preferentially simply because
the repository has the same priority as the internet repo, and comes first
in the sources.list.

One thing I've always wished is that apt could time-out repositories and
fall back to the next one if not found.  Then, if you don't have the CD in
the drawer, it would automatically choose the Internet repo (there'd be
some delay, but that would probably be acceptable to most).
--
derek