Installing and newbies

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri May 9 13:02:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:29:59 -0400
> Michael Leone <turgon at mike-leone.com> wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> >
>> > That's fine, but they're not KDE apps.  That's like complaining that Windows
>> > didn't come with Netscape installed (oh, wait, there was a whole federal
>> > anti-monopoly case about that...).  It's not a KDE distro's place to decide
>> > what non-KDE apps you want - and no matter what that court found, there
>> > isn't any good reason why Microsoft should install any other vendor's
>> > browser in Windows.
>>
>> Well, technically, that wasn't the court's decision, nor the real reason
>> for the case, but I happen to agree with you.
>>
>> > If you don't want KDE, there's a whole Gnome Ubuntu
>> > version available.
>>
>> Personally, I think Gnome as an environment sucks. The apps are pretty
>> good, usually, but the whole is just distasteful to me.
>>
>> The beauty of Linux - choice ...
>>
> I agree with you, I will never choose Gnome. However, I don't
> understand this business of 'they're not KDE apps'. I use the Gimp
> for example, which I am told is not a KDE app. So what?? Am I missing
> something again here?

It's not the using, I think, so much as the inclusion of it in the
base install. Some feel that the base install of Kubuntu should
include only KDE apps, as that is the primary focus of the Distro. If
you want something else, fine. And they'll even put it in the
repositories, available to anyone. They just shouldn't install it by
default (is the thinking).