Key bindings for Fn-F8 (laptop)

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed May 7 05:25:32 UTC 2008

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I can't get the Fn-F8 combo to initiate or switch between
the laptop screen and an external one.

I did write to linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com and this is the last reply:

Nigel,

This FN-F8 feature is gnome specific at the the moment, which would
explain why you don't have it working.  Your best bet is to try to bind
the combination to something feasible for output in Kubuntu such as
'xrandr --auto'.  Sorry, I can't provide details on how to do that as
I'm not familiar with KDE.

Regards,

Mario Limonciello
Dell | Linux Engineering
mario_limonciello at dell.com

How can I set up key binding for the Fn-F8 combo so that it will cycle between the laptop
screen and an external LCD?

Blessings,

Nigel

--