Dual boot

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon May 5 16:28:47 UTC 2008

On Monday 05 May 2008, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am considering using parted (via qtparted) to make some room on the
> HD to take the Hardy install. When I did this before I had Mandriva
> as my distro and used the Mandrake program to partition the drive. I
> have never used parted.
>
> Should this be a simple job or are there pitfalls to avoid? I am
> thinking of :-

Two pitfalls........

If you change the number or order of partitions, you can mess up the booting
of other systems.   A lot of this is eliminated by the UDEV methods that
*ubuntu now uses but there are still gotchas for the grub menu.lst and
possibly fstab.

Best to plan out what you are going to do ahead of time as for new partitions
and then make sure you are going to be able to boot your old system.

You might have to reinstall grub if the /boot partition changes its order and
also change the   'root' statements in the menu.lst at the very least.