updating to hardy

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Fri May 2 11:58:19 UTC 2008

Willy Hamra wrote:
> i decided to do a fresh install of hardy instead of upgrading, due to the
> problems being reported from upgrades. i dont care about any of the settings
> i have made, and just to make sure that no settings remain from gutsy, i'm
> going to delete all hidden files and directories in my home except for
> ".wine". the only thing bothering me is the programs i have installed, i
> cant redownload all of them since i have a slow connection, but i have all
> their debs. i regularly copy the debs from "/var/cache/apt/archives" into a
> seperate partition mounted at "/archive". and i cant run dpkg on them
> separately since there is a lot of packages with many dependencies, and
> running dpkg on all of the debs will probably crash the system since there
> is debs belonging exclusively to gutsy like adept updates and such stuff.
> what is the procedure for making APT installing from /archive after
> installing hardy? is it better to copy them to the cache folder or is it the
> same?
> thanks in advance

In a previous thread named: "how to authenticate my local repository"
the subject was discussed to some depth; I have never tried to restore
the cache from another machine, but there is one suggestion that seems
meaningful: copy them into the /partial folder in the cache folder, the
first attempt to download should find a complete copy there and then
index the deb properly where needed. Untested, but seems meaningful.
HTh,
I.