Compose Key

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:21:13 UTC 2008

Hello Neil

> I used a compose key on Edgy for foreign accents etc. I was able to choose and set up the key which I had decided on. I can't remember where I found it on Edgy. I have been looking at keyboard in settings, but it does not appear. Can anyone remind me where to look please?

When installing Kubuntu 7.10, I chose 'US International' - a key board
setting with so-called 'dead keys': ', ", ~, `, '. When pressing ONE
time at such a key and immediately afterwards at another one, you will
get characters like é, è, ñ, ć, etc.
You can also try to choose 'US international' or ÚS Intl.' after the
installation:
SYSTEM SETTINGS > PERSONAL > Regional and language > Key board lay out >
tab 'lay-out'.
However, my experience is not so good with this option. Because of some
strange reason, only OPEN OFFICE worked according to the changed
setting. But after reinstalling from scratch and choosing the key board
settings during that procedure, everything worked smoothly.

The COMPOSE KEY you are asking for, can however only be installed
afterwords:
SYSTEM SETTINGS > PERSONAL > Regional and language > Key board lay out >
tab 'XKB options'.
You will see a big list with various options. If you scroll a bit
through that list, you will see a set of options 'Compose key position'.
There you can choose your favourite compose key.
This compose key is a useful supplement after installing 'US intl.' or
any other 'intl.' key board. You can get characters like ç and ł.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus
E.:  BasRoufs at gmail.com
M.: +31.6.446.835.10.
T.: +31.30.785.20.40.

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org