8.04 upgrade - login screen resolution is wrong

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri May 2 04:44:48 UTC 2008

Fred Schuelzky wrote:
>   Just finished upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04.  My login screen is
> screwed up. The resolution is wrong. I've tried to change screens and
> that won't work.
> 	Right now I can log in to the KDE system but can't change sessions to
> Gnome. Because I can't see the sessions icon.

Is the resolution OK if you login to KDE? Was the monitor switched on when
the xserver started? What graphics card is in that machine?

If the resolution is wrong for your KDE session as well, you could switch
to a text console using the shortcut Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login. Then use
these commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

If you use gdm, replace "/etc/init.d/kdm" with "/etc/init.d/gdm" for the
commands above. These commands might repair the problem, but if your
graphics card is not really supported, like e.g. some older ATI cards,
that will not help.

Nils