Package upgrade problem with GTK

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Thu May 1 20:03:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Kevin B. O'Brien <nadreck at palain.com> wrote:
> I first saw this as a notice from Adept that an update was available.
>  But no matter how many times I tried to update, the notice stayed there.
>  So I ran some commands to make sure I had no problems with a package
>  lock or mangled install, and everything seemed fine. So then I ran this
>  (and got the following result):
>
>  sudo apt-get upgrade
>  Reading package lists... Done
>  Building dependency tree
>  Reading state information... Done
>  The following packages have been kept back:
>   libgtk1.2
>  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>
>  So it says it is keeping back this package. Does that mean something I
>  should be concerned about? IS there something I can do to get this taken
>  care of?

It means that upgrading libgtk 1.2 would *also* upgrade other
packages, *or* would remove packages. You can do "sudo ap-get -S
install libgtk1.2". This is a simulated install, and would tell you
what else would be installed, or what would be removed, if you just
did :sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2".

BTW, I like using "aptitude" rather than "apt-get", myself, but you'll
probably end up with the same effect.