Help

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:49:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Girard Henri <girardhenri at free.fr> wrote:
> www.getautmatix.com
>  and install it :)
>  it can install most of all needed softs :)
>  Le mardi 18 mars 2008 à 20:19 -0500, Constantinos Maltezos a écrit :
>

> > On Tuesday 18 March 2008 6:02:40 John wrote:
>  > > I'm sure you have been asked before but I am a novice to kubuntu although I
>  > > am used to windows' have installed kubuntu on my spare pc and I am well
>  > > pleased so easy to use apart from I needed a shockwave plug in, I have down
>  > > loaded this ok but something appears to be going terribly wrong when trying
>  > > to install it. I followed the instructions on the website but it just
>  > > doesn't seem to do anything. Can any one give me an idiot proof guide to
>  > > this as i'm sure once I have done 1 it will all become clear
>  >
>  > Hi, John.
>  >
>  > I may be completely off about this and if you hear from someone more
>  > knowledgeable than me, feel free to ignore this.  My experience goes thusly:
>  > I installed Kubuntu, installed the restricted packages, and Flash worked very
>  > well in Konqueror (the default web browser for Kubuntu).  An update or two
>  > later, it stopped.  I nearly scratched a bald spot on my head before I
>  > figured that  *something* had installed a file
>  > called "flashplugin-alternative.so" in one of my plugin directories.  I
>  > deleted it and Flash worked fine.  A couple of updates later, the same thing
>  > happened, only this time (in order to vex me, I suppose) it stuck that file
>  > in three places and each time I deleted one, Konqueror would find the other.
>  > Thankfully, though, that's the last time that file was put on my system.
>  >
>  > You can check to see if this is the case for your system by opening up
>  > Konqueror (the web browser - if you're using Firefox, say so), clicking
>  > on "Setting" and then "Configure Konqueror..."  In the new window, scroll
>  > down until you see "Plugins" on the left and click on it.  On the right,
>  > you'll see two tabs, "Scan" and "Plugins".  Click on "Plugins" and in the
>  > list you'll either see "flashplugin-alternative.so" or "libflashplayer.so".
>  > If you see the first, you'll also see where on the filesystem it is.  If you
>  > get rid of it, scan for plugins again and see if it finds the other.
>  >
>  > Anyway, that's all I got.  I strongly suggest listening to what anyone else
>  > says first.

Hi!
I remember severel devs (or people that seemed to know better =/ )
advising that users should use automatix. It was because automatix did
not use aptititude / apt-get to download and isntall software but
rather just downoaded the debs and installed them. If that changed,
OK, but if not, your next update might break some things. I had that
experience myself and it wasnt pretty...
Just a word of warning... and nothing on the issue itself... sorry

Cheers anyway!

Phil Bieber

--
Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):
 To reduce the risk of shock,
 Do not remove the cover of this book.
 No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber at gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber at gundlach.de