Entire partition locked up during upgrade

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:25:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Bruce Bales <bbales at cox.net> wrote:
> I was running Kubuntu Gutsy on a 386 machine.  Started an apt-get
>  update and then apt-get upgrade.  In the middle of the upgrade, I
>  started seeing:
>  rm: cannot remove /usr/foo .......... Read-only file system

I have seen the whole "Read-only file system" thing come up, but not
while upgrading the system. I was unable to boot from the hard drive
at all because my problem was that the connection to the hard drive
came loose.  If you are able to boot from another partition on this
hard drive, then that doesn't seem to be your problem.  I would
suggest booting from a live CD, mount the partition read-only and then
backup all your data (couldn't hurt).  After that I would check out
/boot/grub/menu.lst and maybe /etc/fstab to see if you can find out
why you can't boot off of the partition. I hope someone who is more
knowledgeable can help you out with this one.

Also, I am pretty sure that apt-get upgrade has nothing to do with the
problem; probably just bad timing.

HTH,
Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2