Help for usb disk and usb pendrive

lanzen lanzenesi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:54:24 UTC 2008

I've found the solution, while I was righting this mail, at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdelibs/+bug/194474
I'll send it all the same as it might explain what it is about and might help
others.

Just one thing: please don't tell me that what I've found could have worked
earlier on in 3.5.8 or I'll smash me head against my room's walls. :-D
When I think of all the times I had to use a forcing command line and the
answer was so close...

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 22:23:17 lanzen wrote:

> Unfortunately, at least since I've upgraded to kde 3.5.9 - and I think
> there's also been a upgrade on ntfs-3g - some new ugly problems are facing
> up.

So, here I am back to try a little brain storming on this problem that has
come out since I upgraded to kde 3.5.9. I hope this will eventually help
Valter, too.

This is my usb external drive and how it shows with "sudo fdisk -l".

Device               Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1              64   199270260    99635098+   7  HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end to the limit of the cylinder.
/dev/sda2       586099396   586099396           0+  83  Linux
/dev/sda3       199270261   586099395   193414567+   5  Extended
Partition 3 does not end to the limit of the cylinder.
/dev/sda5       199270324   586099395   193414536   83  Linux

	Just a little note: konsole did not revert to English when I changed
	kubuntu default locale, so the above strings are translated I don't
	know to what degree of accuracy.

When I was in kde 3.5.8, plugging in the disk would show two dolphin windows
popping out. One would show the linux partition mounted and ready to be used,
the other one would not show anything, but a warning saying that the disk
could not be mounted on behalf of uid 1000, if I remember well.

At this point issuing the "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/disk-1 -o
force" command would fix things for the running session. Unmounting would
partially work, too. Like the disk would be unmounted but not expelled: the
icons would linger.

Now, on kde 3.5.9, if I plug in this disk the only thing that happens is that
shortly after kded takes up all the cpu spinning it at 100%. No automounting,
nothing appears in Storage Media (via menu bar) not even the other partition
from the machine disk or any already connected pens, nor in dolphin, nor in
Konqueror (media:/). A little bit later all system becomes unstable, if not
locked and even logging out becomes difficult. RSEIUB becomes really the main
way out.

But... if before booting in kubuntu I remember to plug in my drive and turn it
on and then start my computer, everything works. I can open /media, find all
my disks, pens and drives, and mount the disk like wonder. Of course, I think
this might be a feature, both partitions get mounted even if I only mount
one.

Unmounting is pretty much the same as I had previously in 3.5.8. Umount works,
but ejecting doesn't. Anyway I can mount and unmount anytime I want now.

I'm stopping here. No more to add and I've found a solution.

--
lanzen