easy install for linksys wireless card

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Thu Mar 13 10:06:38 UTC 2008

At 00:17 13/03/2008, you wrote:
>Hello  all,
>I have a Linksys WUSB 54 G ver. 4
>wireless router. I have KDE ubuntu 7.10.
>Can anyone tell me of an easy way to get the wireless card to work. I
>have searched the web and looked at NDIS wrappers. the instructions for
>this are little beyond me. Most particularly I do not want to download
>and install anything that does not work and later proves to be an
>obstacle. I have an ethernet connection on a different pc in another
>room, and router is also linksys.
>does any one have any suggestions?
>
>Kevin Jones

I got a BlueNext USB dongle going with Gutsy and ndiswrapper. My main
problem was that I didn't know which of the driver files to pick from
the supplied CD.

Having no idea how to find out which one to pick, I'm afraid I loaded
the driver CD into an XP box then plugged in the USB dongle, and let
the windoze installer run far enough to show me which driver it had
picked, wrote down the name, then cancelled it.

Went back to the laptop with Gutsy, copied off the driver I needed
from the CD, and told ndiswrapper to use the copy, which worked.

I've not had chance to actually connect it to a WiFi network because
I don't have one at home, but the BlueNext dongle immediately
discovered some BT home hubs in the vicinity when I plugged it into a
box with Hardy Alpha, so if you can wait a couple of weeks for things
to stabilise you might not have to mess with ndiswrapper at all.

Dave