Help for usb disk and usb pendrive

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Mar 12 06:24:12 UTC 2008

Valter Mura wrote:
> Il martedì 11 marzo 2008 21:31:44 Nils Kassube ha scritto:
> > Valter Mura wrote:
> > Why did you use that atime option anyway for all
> > your entries? It is at least useless for the cdrom entries.
>
> Could I safely delete the option "atime" from the entries? I think
> something went wrong one day, but I didn't realize I was modifying
> something important... :-(

Yes. The atime option only makes sense for a native Linux file system like
ext3. But it is a default anyway, so you don't need it.

> > Reinstalling probably doesn't help. The problem with the external
> > drive doesn't go away by reinstalling. Maybe you could automount the
> > pendrive again, but that is probably possible if you delete the fstab
> > entry for /dev/sda1. I suggest you better stop playing with your
> > fstab and use the default.
>
> Ok. Please send to me the default fstab, if somebody has one.

With default fstab I meant the one generated by the installer because it
is different for every machine. However, from your original mail I made a
file which should be like your original one. I have attached it to
prevent line wraps. Before you use it, make a backup of the one you have
now, just in case I made an error.

> But my
> question is: Could I add a new entry to fstab for the external ntfs
> hard drive, keeping "untouched" the entry for sda1 (used by the pen
> drives)? Something like, for example: /dev/sda2 /media/disk2 ntfs-3g
> defaults,force 0 0 ?
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to customize only the entry for the
> external usb drive, so that Kubuntu could see the drive and the usb
> pendrive at the same time.

The problem is that you have the same device name for external drives if
they are not present simultaneously. The first connected disk is sda, the
second is sdb. But fortunately there is a solution. Give the partition of
the external disks labels as it is explained at this page
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive>. E.g. use NTFSDISK for
the external disk and PENDRIVE for the pendrive. Then the entry for your
external disk would look like this:

LABEL=NTFSDISK /media/ntfsdisk ntfs-3g defaults,force,noauto 0 0

But you should make a directory /media/ntfsdisk before using the external
disk. The pendrive should be handled automatically.

Nils