Help for usb disk and usb pendrive

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:22:05 UTC 2008

Il martedì 11 marzo 2008 22:50:54 lanzen ha scritto:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2008 20:21:34 Valter Mura wrote:
> > /dev/sda1 /media/disk1 ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0
> > ***
> >
> > I CANNOT use the choice one.
>
> Why, no Windows?

It doesn't allow me to remove safely the drive... I don't know why, perhaps
some program to protect the system... sic!

> > My fstab file is:
> > ***
> >
> > /dev/sda1 /media/disk1 auto users,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
> > ***
> >
> > Note that I have already installed "ntfs-3g" and "ntfs-config", so I
> > supposed I could use the hard disk.
> >
> > Do I have to *substitute* the last line in fstab file with
> > */dev/sda1 /media/disk1 ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0* or only add it to the
> > file?
>
> La prima che hai detto! ;-) At least try it. If it doesn't work try to
> delete the line, find out if you usb disk is really sda1 or what it really
> is (in konsole sudo fdisk -l ) and give the command
>  mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/disk1 -o force

Bene! Another question: if I substitute the line, how my pen drives will be
read? They will use, for example, sda2 o sda3 or waht else?

> But it might not work now because...
>
> > Another issue: now the system isn't able to mount and read/write also usb
> > pendrives, and before Kubuntu recognised my pen drives.
>
> Have you upgraded to kde 3.5.9? Do you recall updating ntfs-3g recently?
> I'm having problems now even if not with pendrives.

Yes, and I've experienced problems with adept

> > Why? Perhaps some
> > conflict? Do I need to configure the fstab, adding a customized line for
> > the usb hard disk? Or for the usb pendrive, which, I suppose, should be
> > "seen" by the system automatically?
>
> For the usb disk, as said, you might, but pendrives shouldn't need it.
>
> > The only solution I know presently, as I'm not very skilled with the OS
> > and the Konsole, is to reset everything and reinstall Kubuntu in the
> > internal hard disk, which is dedicated to Linux, than indipendent from
> > Windows.
>
> I know it's bad to say here, but gnome (ubuntu) has not these hungups these
> days.
>
> > Please, help me, I don't want to lose my mail and music and photos...
> > thank you in advance.
>
> Keep your /home safe! ;-)

Thank you,

Ciao
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com