Help for usb disk and usb pendrive

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:21:34 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I *would* like to definitely solve the issue that bores me since several
months.

I bought an external dstorage usb disk of 320 Gb. The 1st time I used it was
with Windows and everything went well: Windows recognises it, I can read and
write in it. The file system is "NTFS".

Now, I've tried many times to access to it from my Linux Kubuntu (7.10
updated) and I get always this error:
***
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Operazione non supportata
Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:
Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.
Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for
your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/disk1 -o force
Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:
/dev/sda1 /media/disk1 ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0
***

I CANNOT use the choice one.

My fstab file is:
***
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hda1
UUID=7c6eef04-e3dc-40b4-9203-aca83775170c / ext3
nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
# /dev/hda5
UUID=a0ace780-418a-4375-b2a3-7f10edab6baf none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/dev/sda1 /media/disk1 auto users,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
***

Note that I have already installed "ntfs-3g" and "ntfs-config", so I supposed
I could use the hard disk.

Do I have to *substitute* the last line in fstab file with
*/dev/sda1 /media/disk1 ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0* or only add it to the
file?

Another issue: now the system isn't able to mount and read/write also usb
pendrives, and before Kubuntu recognised my pen drives. Why? Perhaps some
conflict? Do I need to configure the fstab, adding a customized line for the
usb hard disk? Or for the usb pendrive, which, I suppose, should be "seen" by
the system automatically?

The only solution I know presently, as I'm not very skilled with the OS and
the Konsole, is to reset everything and reinstall Kubuntu in the internal
hard disk, which is dedicated to Linux, than indipendent from Windows.

Please, help me, I don't want to lose my mail and music and photos... thank
you in advance.
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com