wireless connection to linksys from Inspiron laptop

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:38:13 UTC 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008 03:16:01 pm Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I just got my Linksys WRT54GL delivered today and set it up to connect to a
> pppoe connection. The wired connection works as advertised (beware, if your
> pc/laptop is already configured with a static ip address, then you won't be
> able to connect using http://192.168.1.1 - I had to stick the Hardy live CD
> in and then it connected!!??).
>
> Anyway, I now want to be able to set up my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop to
> connect to the router. I installed wicd and removed KNetworkManager and
> KWlan, but wicd says that there are no wireless connections available.
>
> I really am completely new to wireless and don't really know where to
> start.
>
> Do I have to do anything special to the router first?
> And how do I get a 'tray icon' for wicd to appear?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Yes, you may need to look into what kind of Wireless adapter you have.  It may
be that the restricted driver manager will get what you need and set it up
for you, or you may have a wireless modem that requires ndiswrapper.  If you
have a broadcom NIC I would imagine the restricted driver manager will help
out, but some wireless cards just don't play well with others.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.