WICD and KNetworkManager

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 23:45:27 UTC 2008

lanzen wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>

>> The WICD installer will normally uninstall Knetworkmanager for you as
>> it will otherwise be problems.
>>

> And, of course, knetworkmanager can always be reinstalled if wicd
> somehow fails.
>

>> I prefer WICD over Knetworkmanager for many reasons, one being the
>> ability to set up and save profiles for wired networks.
>>

> I'd love to be able to use wicd, but here it works only if the wireless
> lan is not encrypted. Does anybody know if wicd works in WPA with
> ndiswrapper? The driver I use is neti2220.

I've had great results with wicd.  Everything worked fine in network
manager, but I wanted to try out wicd.  The all architecture .deb
package on sourceforge, but they also have a repository for ubuntu.
Just add to /etc/apt/sources.list, substitute gutsy with dapper, edgy,
fiesty, hardy, or debian if need be.

|deb http://apt.wicd.net gutsy extras  |

And, as a good Idea (If somehow it breaks your setup and you want to use
network manager again) make sure to download the network manager and
kubuntu or ubuntu frontend packages so you can reinstall them if you
need to (Can't download them later)  or you can see if you already have
them in /var/cache/apt/archives

It conflicts with network manager so it needs to be removed (Along with
gtk+ and kde front-ends)  and like network manager make sure the
loopback device is the only thing listed in /etc/network/interfaces

The all architecture .deb file I used installed everything into /opt so
for gnome goto sessions and add /opt/tray.py to the list of autostart
programs and kde add this script to ~/.kde/Autostart and name it
something like wicdstart.sh

#!/bin/bash
# Autostart Wicd tray applet for KDE
sleep 15 &&  /opt/wicd/tray.py

Make sure the path is correct for wicd (The repos may install into /usr
and the svn compiled version may install into /usr/local or something)
and also make this script executable:

chmod a+x ~/.kde/Autostart/wicdstart.sh

I have not had any problems with encrypted connections.  You must ensure
the wpasupplicant is installed of course and make sure the correct
driver is selected in wicd's preferences My intel chipset uses the wext
driver  I used it both with Gutsy's ipw3945 driver and Hardys iwl3945
with no problems at all.  In the hardy kernel (iwl3945) the naming was
incorrect and needed some tweaking in the persistant net rules file and
the indicator light on my laptop doesn't work with the iwl3945 driver
but these are known bugs and have to be done with network manager as
well, so if network manager isn't set up/working right you must set this
stuff up first as this is "under" that layer.