undelete a folder ?

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:59:49 UTC 2008

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Richard <cms0009 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to recovery a folder off my backup usb drive vfat 32
>  is there a application for doing this??, or a linux command ??
>
>  Thanks in Advance
>  Richard
>
>  --

The Fat filesystem does not have an easy way to undelete files.  Fat
file undeletion software uses data carving techniques.

http://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

If your drive is small, you can use foremost or photorec to data carve
the files out.  If the drive is very big and you don't want to sort
through a lot of recoverd files (it won't differentiate between intact
and deleted files), you can use the "dls" tool from The Sleuth Kit to
make an image of the unallocated blocks, and then recover from there.