Playing MMS video, where's the bug?

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Jun 30 15:42:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com
>> <mailto:dotancohen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Is there a bug filed in the [k]ubuntu bugtracker (launchpad) regarding
>>     MMS video playback? I thought there would be one,  but I could not
>>     find it and I don't want to post a dupe.
>>
>>     This video does not play in Firefox:
>>     http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/126500
>>
>>     However, I can copy the url and paste it into VLC to play the video,
>>     so it is an issue of configuration. Should I file it?
>>
>>     Dotan Cohen
>>

>> Stupid question but did you click it? Then did you get sent to the
>> next web page for non windows browsers? Did you get the can't play mms
>> error?
>>

>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>
>> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page
> When I tried it I got a message that Firefox couldn't open it because
> there was no program associated with "mms". A little Googling and I
> found that "mms" is for Microsoft Media Server or some such nonsense.
> Another Microsoft proprietary format?????

Microsoft Media Server (MMS) is the name of Microsoft's proprietary
network streaming protocol used to transfer unicast data in Windows
Media Services (previously called NetShow Services). MMS can be
transported via UDP or TCP. The MMS default port is UDP/TCP 1755.

Microsoft deprecated MMS in favor of RTSP in 2003 with the release of
the Windows Media Services 9 Series, but continued to support the MMS
for some time in the interest of backwards compatibility. Support for
the protocol was finally dropped in Windows Media Services 2008[1].

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Media_Services>

MMS is also Multimedia Messaging Service, which is a multimedia
version of a text message, apparently, so it's unclear which one this
is.

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>

I couldn't understand your attitude.
I only wanted to take a photograph of you,
But I was shocked when I heard what you had to say.
You picked up my camera, threw it away,
I didn't really mean to ruin your day.
 -- "Heart of Gold", the Kinks