exim4 : how to send email to local domain + address ?

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Sun Jun 29 14:29:37 UTC 2008

On Sunday 29 Jun 2008, Bruno Costacurta wrote:

> Thanks for follow up.
> I installed Postfix and indeed works for localdomain delivery, but now no
more
> for external. So:
>
> (1)  'mail -s 'test' root at localhost.localdomain' = OK
> (2) 'mail -s 'test' __external__email at gmail.com' = Not ok...
>
> in (2) I need to rewrite the domain to be accepted by my ISP smtp server
> someting like 'bruno at localhost.localdomain' replaced by 'xxx at my_isp.com'
>
> In exim4 I have email-addresse config file
> bruno=xxx at my_isp.com
> how to do with Postfix ?
>
> Thanks.
> Bye,
> Bruno
>
> Who do you accept both local / external ?

Here is the how-to that I used to set up my own postfix configuration:-
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/smtp_auth_mailservers.html
This is reasonably easy to do with postfix, but I could never find out how to
get it to work with sendmail.

Bear in mind that I'm doing it differently to you - I've got a small machine
that runs 24/7 on ubuntu server with user accounts for collecting email etc.
We use this machine to relay outgoing email so that only the one
configuration needs to be set up to access my authenticated SMTP box at One
and One.

I just tested what you are trying to do by sending mail using kmail with just
the user ID of the recipient on the server, no '@' character or domain name.
In the sent mail directory, I can see that kmail appears to have changed
userid to userid at localhost.localdomain, and the test message has arrived in
the correct mail box.

If you now want to use postfix to relay email outside, it might be best to
start again, which was what I found to be the easiest way. Remove postfix,
delete the configuration files it created from /etc/, and have another go. If
I remember correctly, removing the configuration files will get the postfix
installation to give you the choice of basic configurations again. Choose the
one for sending email out but NOT receiving email directly from the Internet.
For that you need a fixed IP address, mx records etc and that's territory
I've not so far explored. It won't work on a normal home user's ISP account.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763