lost usb/dvd on gutsy->hardy upgrade

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 27 18:28:19 UTC 2008

Thanks for the reply Pablo,

$ lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            82496  0
libusual               23520  1 usb_storage
usbhid                 35296  0
hid                    44992  1 usbhid
usbcore               169904  6 usb_storage,libusual,usbhid,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
scsi_mod              178488  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata

$ lsmod | grep cdrom
cdrom                  41512  1 sr_mod

I'm not sure what you mean for lsscsi ... there doesn't seem to be such a
command on my machine.

Anyway, I hope there's something in the above that's helpful for diagnosis.

Regards,
Greg Gamble

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 02:03:50PM -0300, Pablo L. Berdaguer wrote:
> I guess it'd be usefull if you could paste the output of "lsusb" to see if the
> flash drive hardware itself gets detected.
> Also, "lsmod | grep usb". For the cdrom, my guess is "lsscsi" and "lsmod | grep
> cdrom"
> That won't solve anything, but it should provide some more info about what's
> wrong.
>

> El Friday 27 June 2008 13:38:29 Greg Gamble escribió:
> > Dear Kubuntu-ers
> >
> > I thought I'd done all the right things:
> >
> >   apt-get update
> >   apt-get dist-upgrade
> >   ... then modified /etc/apt/sources.list with vim: :%s/gutsy/hardy/g
> >   apt-get update
> >   apt-get dist-upgrade -y
> >
> > The -y was so I could leave it going overnight. Anyway, everything looked
> > alright, but then I discovered that my machine was not detecting my usb
> > (for flash drive) or dvd drive. Everything else is working fine ... I
> > can even internet-connect (fortunately ... so I can write this email).
> >
> > I've already tried doing
> >
> >   apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > again, to see if anything was missed.
> >
> > My machine is an AMD 64 Inspiron 531S, if that's of any help.
> >
> > Everything was working fine with gutsy, except I had a few issues with
> > Firefox...
> > and since my work machine was already upgraded to hardy and didn't have
> > those issues, I thought I'd upgrade. Seems like a bad idea now.
> >
> > I scanned the archives and in April some problems were reported with
> > an Athlon 64 where Jesus Arocho succeeded by going back to an x.14
> > kernel. We seem to be up to x.19 now ... but going back to x.14 doesn't
> > work for me.
> >
> > Has anyone struck this problem? ... or better yet know a check list I
> > should be checking? ... or even better, know a fix?
> >
> > Should I go back to gutsy? Is the above reversible?
> > (I'm told that I only needed to do a dist-upgrade on gutsy to remove
> > the probelms with Firefox.)
> >
> >   Regards and thanks in advance,
> >   Greg Gamble

  Regards,