lost usb/dvd on gutsy->hardy upgrade

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 27 16:38:29 UTC 2008

Dear Kubuntu-ers

I thought I'd done all the right things:

  apt-get update
  apt-get dist-upgrade
  ... then modified /etc/apt/sources.list with vim: :%s/gutsy/hardy/g
  apt-get update
  apt-get dist-upgrade -y

The -y was so I could leave it going overnight. Anyway, everything looked
alright, but then I discovered that my machine was not detecting my usb
(for flash drive) or dvd drive. Everything else is working fine ... I
can even internet-connect (fortunately ... so I can write this email).

I've already tried doing

  apt-get dist-upgrade

again, to see if anything was missed.

My machine is an AMD 64 Inspiron 531S, if that's of any help.

Everything was working fine with gutsy, except I had a few issues with
Firefox...
and since my work machine was already upgraded to hardy and didn't have
those issues, I thought I'd upgrade. Seems like a bad idea now.

I scanned the archives and in April some problems were reported with
an Athlon 64 where Jesus Arocho succeeded by going back to an x.14
kernel. We seem to be up to x.19 now ... but going back to x.14 doesn't
work for me.

Has anyone struck this problem? ... or better yet know a check list I
should be checking? ... or even better, know a fix?

Should I go back to gutsy? Is the above reversible?
(I'm told that I only needed to do a dist-upgrade on gutsy to remove
the probelms with Firefox.)

  Regards and thanks in advance,
  Greg Gamble