Netiquette

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Wed Jun 25 19:23:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Steve Lamb <grey at dmiyu.org> wrote:
> On Wed, June 25, 2008 11:07 am, Michael Leone wrote:
>> I see people on mailing lists (only Linux-related mailing lists, BTW)
>> say those disclaimers are invalid, etc, because it's a mailing list.
>
>    Nope.  Generally we point out they are meaningless because they are not
> legally binding.  They're written in legalese, they make some people
> feel warm and fuzzy because they appear all legalese and threatening but
> to my knowledge they are completely, utterly invalid and have never been
> tested in any court.

If they've never been tested in court, then they *could* be valid,
hence the need to include it, on the off-chance that it *might* be
held up in court one day. And even if one court says they are invalid,
another higher court could overturn that, and then they go back to
being valid.  So rather than take the chance, disclaimers are included
on emails.

And again, we've spent more bandwidth talking about, than it took up.
It's like complaining of top-posting. If you've got enough time to
complain about top-posting, you've got too much free time on your
hands. :-) Just move on, I say ...

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...