Alt-F2 has unique $PATH?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 25 13:07:19 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/6/24 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:
>> I think it has to do with that ALF-F2 is not a login shell or an
>> interactive shell so your shell config file (.bash_profile,
>> .bash_login or .profile) is not sourced.
>>
>> I was looking briefly into .bash_profile and .profile as a answer for
>> an other mail and as i understand it bash will not read .profile or
>> .bash_login if you have a .bash_profile and in Ubuntu they use the
>> .profile file.

I believe that should have ended "in Ubuntu they use the .bash_profile file"
or the next bit doesn't make sense (not to mention we talked about .profile
a while ago, and nobody seemed to have one).

> Thanks, Jonas. Naturally I did google before posting. What I find
> unusual is that the taskbar button follows the configured path. So if
> one KDE element (the task bar) follows the configured path, why not
> another (Alt-F2)?

Yes, the whole concept of non-login shells not needing to source any of
those files is that they're supposed to inherit from their parent, so it
really seems wrong if Alt-F2 doesn't
--
derek